Letter from Stan

Kashmir | Pakistan | Kyrgyzstan | Tajikistan | Uzbekistan | Kazakhstan | Russia | Estonia

Blog

Monday, August 08, 2005

Sex and the Sufi

I am now in Bishkek. I know that according to the schedule that I should be in Osh and heading to Sary-Tash now, but the schedule has gone to pot!

Pete is ill, and doesn't know when he is flying and Mikes flight to Bishkek has been cancled! So after I survived 2 Aeroflot flights (after a few points where I wasn't sure if I would!!) i arrived in Bishkek only to find out that I need to wait here another week for the boys. Whe have met a woman in Bishkek called Ainura. She is a school friend of someone Andy met i University at the beginning of last term and I must say that she's a star! She is letting me stay in her appartement and has given me all the information I could ever need on buses, safetey, changing money and speaking Russian!

Bishkek is an unique city. It looks much more developed that i was expecting and the culture is much more European. It is a wonderful blend of east and west. There are European type cafes outside, and very well dressed women meeting for luch. But there are also the norms of a city in a developing country of crazy cars and fruit stalls all over the street. This gives a very cool and friendly atmosphere.

The people living in the city also have the same mix. Ainura is a great example (although most of her friends and couliges are the same). She is very well dressed, she lives in an apartement on her own and she has a small group of close friends, but know a lot of people. I would even go as far as saying that she's like a Kurgz equivalent of Sex and the City! But she has another side. She is from Issa-kul, a lake in the north east of the country. She has kept all the traditions of countryside kurgz life. I believe that this is something very great abou the city, which is the way modern living and traditions blend together so well.

Tomorrow i will leave to Issa-Kul to spend some time in the country. I will stay in Ainuras parents house and will spend time with her sister and nephew. This will be another chance to see the way people live here. I feel very lucky to see this.

The future of the trip is as yet undecided. We are all near somwhere where we can get flights, but we don't know to where yet. Time is running out, and it may not be possible to do the whole trip. But because there are airports spotted about the place, we may still do half the trip. But be asured, we are all safe!

Cariad mawr i bawb! x

2 Comments:

  • At 9:14 am, Blogger Lowri said…

    who's giving my blogs titles? i don't mind it, in fact it's nice, i can't think of my own. but it's getting a little weired now...

     
  • At 5:32 pm, Blogger Pete said…

    Sorry, that be me. It's alright, I'll be out soon and able to heckle them straight at you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photos

Map


News